Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Welcome to Roncy!

Roncesvalles Avenue is hipper than hip. It's true. This small little street is tucked away in the central west end of the city of Toronto, and is quickly becoming quite the hub of all things verging on trendy. It's unpretentious air is the heart of its charm, like some sort of mellow brick road. And I can assure you, this road can be followed all the way to coolness. No heel clicking required. The pubs and restaurants of Roncy are humble and simple, not hiding behind any showy images of minimalist design or uncomfortably elegant furniture. Roncy is truth, I say. What you see is what you get... until you order some food. The food is FABULOUS! I can honestly say I had the greatest omelet of my life on Roncy. No word of a lie. But more on that later.
The architecture of Roncesvalles is also a reason to visit. The homes that line the side streets are beautiful examples of early city building styles, dotted with churches and walk-ups that decorate the lovely Roncy village with classic designs.
As far as the TTC is concerned, Roncy is readily available. It is fully streetcar equipped, extending out of the Dundas West subway station at Bloor and Dundas W. Just hop on the tram, and go from Bloor to Queen, letting you take in Roncy in its entirety. However, I urge you to walk along Roncy. The window shopping is superb, with old fashioned cobbler shops and a revered statue of Pope John Paul II. And if you need a break from city walking, just walk a couple of blocks west and you'll find yourself looking upon the forested walls of High Park. Walk around. Smell some trees. Can't go wrong.
I am lucky enough to live at the top of Roncesvalles, and spend the majority of my free time walking up and down its sidewalks people-watching and strutting. You'll generally always find me having a pint in The Local, catching a movie at The Revue, or sipping a latte in Alternative Grounds. And so, I will spread my love of Rocy and record my wonderful Roncy experiences here. Enjoy!

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 12:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great blog. I'm a fan of the neighbourhood and of many of the establishments that line Roncesvalles. I really appreciate getting your first-hand account of some places that I'd been meaning to try (in particular The Freshwood Grill, and The Local). A couple of newfound favourite hangouts for me are Another Story (every neighbourhood needs a bookstore!) and Tinto Coffeehouse at the south end of the street (wonderful breakfasts, lunches and baked goods made with organic and fair trade ingredients). Oh, and speaking of baked goods, you can't beat the chocolate croissants at the Roncesvalles Bakery...

    K.S.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home